Monday, April 28, 2008

SWRA Swoops into Eagles Canyon

Five hours north of West Houston, just north of Ft. Worth, Texas near Decatur, Eagle's Canyon Raceway was recently completed and word was SWRA was the first official event at the new track.





The track is a technical majesty, the four outer left-turns are four different, double apex 180's of varying diameter. Turn 3 is a quick left into a full out exit, turn 6 is a tight turn in and a tight, compression exit with a lot of track to deal with, painted apex and exit curbs. Turn 9 has a massive elevational drop, but with the off-camber left/right to enter, it's a joyous run downhill through the Turn 9 complex. The fourth double is Turn 11, an even-tighter double left after a long straight. There are many elevational changes in the 2.5 mile track, making entries and exits exciting.



Competition was fierce again, with Jean and John Dale Brown in attendance on Friday for the lights, and Jamey on Sunday due to scheduling constraints. I was unable to be there for Friday practice, but I arrived early Saturday to assemble my unprepared kart. I hadn't completed the necessary repairs, and parts from Frank's shop met me at the track. Aside from a missing gas tank, and a new one ($55 trackside), the Birel went together with no hitches. Dropping out onto the track in the lights race without any practice laps put me down early. In the 12 or 13 laps of the race, I was able to shave 4 seconds off my times, and made my last lap my fastest, a 2:20.

The leaders with the three kart draft were lapping at 2:13 though, so I never saw them after the start. I passed several slower karts to finish 6th thanks to one of the lead pack going off on the final lap. I felt a lot of horsepower was left on the table after this race: some in the motor, some in the clutch, and some in my overall body weight, but after some consideration I think it'll also prove effective to update the aero package, it's ten years old now and though it's complete, it is a bit of an air dam.

Sunday's race was better for me, I finished 4th and improved on my lap times, but performance-wise it was the same. I look forward to our next race at Oakhill. We'll visit SWRA's home track twice in the year, May 16-18 and again Oct 17-19.

Sponsorship operations need to improve. There were several last minute donors prior to this past weekend, but overall, sponsorship is anything but busy.

The good news is I should be in the lead in points in the Heavies and fourth in points in the Lights.

-Katykarter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home