Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cresson Countdown

It's Tuesday night, March 25 and I'm home from prepping the kart over at Frank's after work. I got there about 5 and stayed till about 8. He'd been doing 10 to 15 hour days this week and last and has just two more days(and three nights) till load up.

The Birel is doing well. It's not as pristeen as in recent memory, last season took a toll. The underside is in need of addressing. It has been banged around a little since I took ownership, and it needs paint there badly. But the secret recipe of metallurgy and design is still there: it's still the same chassis, and it's systems are all but in place and race-ready. I have only two more evenings before load, and I'd like to load early Thursday and sleep till edt 3:45am Friday.

I have bitten off a mouthfull this season, I've decided to run in the lights as well as the heavies and two races per weekend will take some getting used to. I'll still try for Friday practice to sort the kart out, and get seat time, but a race on Saturday and Sunday will provide ample opportunity to get race experience. I don't hope to win on Saturday. If the fields are as numerous as last year, I might expect fourth. The first race is one of two dual-club meets which means there will be more entries than usual. Remember, I'm used to racing on Sunday in the KT100 "heavy" class. On Saturday, the competitive "lights" race and I'll be giving up a lot of weight. This will be a sizeable disadvantage, but I know I can be competitive and hopefully consistancy will again lead to success. On Sunday's I'll have less of a weight disadvantage, and as last year showed, consistency in this less populated class will pay dividends.

Driver weight is a huge issue. In the KT100 class, a 100cc Yamaha motor with a centrifugal clutch is a class where corner speed and acceleration is highlighted. Without a manual transmission, the clutch allows the driver to smoothly accelerate out of the turns, but it penalizes a slow turn, or slow corner speed. It takes a long time to get the speed built back up, and makes the driver seek every inch of track and inertia to keep his speed up. When more mass has to be kept in motion this way, the motor must work harder and makes a light driver naturally faster.

My weight is a known weakness and I've done a lousy job of keeping the excess bulk in check over the winter. Leading into this first race, I'm as heavy as ever, over 210. I haven't dropped a single pound, though I have let the gym membership lapse, and I had a couple of wierd injuries several weeks ago that dampened the workout regimen. I have resumed a regular workout schedule though and I know these first couple of races I'll be heavier than I should be, but I'll be down to around 200 soon. The food/eating issue is also being tweaked. I don't overeat as much anymore, but it doesn't take as much to turn into fat as it used to. I like to say I've slowed my metabolism down by not working as hard as I used to, but in reality my body is doing the typical, "oh well, it was nice but now we're going to be a fat-ass and die of heart disease" routine. What my body doesn't know yet, though it's getting hints is that I'm not going out like that. I know I can adjust my body's aging operation, and stay healthy and happy for many more years.

On Saturdays I'll be racing against guys that will have to bolt on weight to pass post-race inspection, while I'll be sweating away ounces off of 20-30 pounds of extra weight. It doesn't sound like I'll be competitive but we'll see: I will be out there, and I'll be consistent. I have a very reliable motor package from Frank, I have the best clutch money can buy, and dude, it took plenty of money!! The chassis is excellent, front wheel brakes, new tires, I cannot freakin wait.


-Katykarter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home